Jesuit Church Vienna
The Jesuit Church – also known as University Church – is a marvellous baroque expression of Christian faith. Seventy years after its consecration in 1631 it was the Jesuit architect, sculptor and painter Andrea Pozzo SJ who gave the church the rich appearance it has to this day. The church is dedicated to the assumption of the Virgin Mary into heaven. Her salvation points to the salvation of the whole humanity and manifests God’s triumph in history. This triumph is demonstarted with pomp and glory in the interior of the church. The whole area is proclaiming it with its lustre of gold an the warmth of shades dominated by flesh-colours and ochre. Like this the church celebrates the overcoming of the forces of death, the resurrection of the flesh and the triumph of the humble and the weak.
Pozzo died in 1709 and was entombed in the crypt of the Jesuit Church.
Opening hours of the church
8:00 am – 9:00 pm
In the church you will find leaflets with detailed information about the artistic programme and the paintings of Pozzo in several languages.
The Jesuits – officially known as the Society of Jesus – are an international group of priests and brothers in the Catholic Church. The order was founded by Saint Ignatius of Loyola and his companions in the 16th century. Especially because of its numerous educational institutions the Society of Jesus has been an influential force in history. This power also led to opposition. The Society of Jesus was surpressed in 1773 and officially re-established in 1814. Today the Jesuit order has about 14.000 members who try to promote the Christian faith and social justice all over the world. In Vienna we are a group of approximately 20 Jesuits.